Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Minor medical issues...

I have been feeling a bit bummed due to some minor medical issues that I have been having. I went in for an ultrasound to check for possible ovarian cysts (had one, but it has since burst) or other "issues". I found out that the lining of my uterus is abnormally thickened, endometrial hyperplasia. Not good. No wonder I haven't gotten preggers yet! I have to schedule a biopsy before the doc decides what action to take. I will likely either be put on birth control pills temporarily or have a D&C. But if left untreated, it could progress into endometrial cancer which would mean a hysterectomy. Awesome.

More awesome news: it is caused by too much estrogen and not enough progesterone. People with these problems are usually overweight, genetically prone to diabetes, have irregular periods, and often have polycystic ovary syndrome. I qualify for all.

I know its not really a big deal. I am just bummed because I will likely have to wait longer to get preggers and its gonna cost some $ to get the treatment done. Ugh!

I am worried about something else, also. Dallin went in for a camp physical (he's at Scout camp this week) last week. All was fine, but the nurse said she saw signs of Acanthosis nigricans, which is dark, velvety skin on his neck, armpits, and groin. She explained that it is usually a sign of insulin resistance and often is associated with obesity. It is typically a red-flag for the onset of pre-diabetes.

I have had this faintly for the past decade and had absolutely no idea! I thought it was a hormonal imbalance. I am frustrated that not only am I obviously at risk for diabetes at my current weight, but my child has the same problem. I know it is hereditary (my dad's side), but it is also due to excessive weight. Basically Dallin and I both need to lose some serious weight!

Good news: I have lost 17lbs and am still losing. I really cannot see any signs of acanthosis nigricans on myself right now. Dallin has been losing a little weight and has committed himself to working harder by exercising and watching his food intake. We both need to keep it up and watch our carbs. We don't handle insulin well.

Not the end of the world, I know. Just frustrating that I have allowed myself AND my son to have gained so much weight. I know that I have given the poor kid my genetic issues and a very bad example to follow. Just got my big "kick in the pants"!

No comments: